For the past few weeks our customers and friends have helped us collect new unwrapped toys for our Toy’s for Tots Drive. You still have time to make your donation, but our drive will be wrapping up soon. We’re open until 1pm on Christmas Eve. Your last chance to donate to Toys for Tots is Wednesday, December 24th by 1pm. Thank you for helping us spread Christmas Cheer to those in need.
I can’t remember the last time I was Christmas shopping in a short sleeve t-shirt. Is this how folks in Florida feel around Christmas time? It feels more like spring than winter with temperatures reaching close to 70. Don’t be fooled, Winter is coming and mother nature has a history of making us pay for these unseasonably warm days. Please don’t be caught off guard or unprepared; see what your car needs, to get you through Christmas traveling and whatever winter has in store for us.
- Battery check – Have you had your battery tested lately? Is it older than four years? When winter temps finally make their appearance, your battery is going to be put to the test and you don’t want to find yourself stranded.
- Cooling/Heating System Check – Your heaters and defrosters are essential and more than just for comfort. Driving without heat can be a serious hazard to your health and if your windshield fogs or freezes while driving, it’s like driving blind. Don’t wait for the next freeze to check your heating system.
- Wipers and Washer fluid – Change your blades and fluid before the season gets going. When the snow eventually comes our way, you’ll want to be able to clear your windshield completely. During road trips, we tend to use our washer fluid even more, so it’s a good idea to keep a bottle of washer fluid in the car.
- Oil – One of the most vital fluids in your car; dirty oil can cause damage to your pistons, gaskets, engine performance, and cause engine seizing. You may not notice the problems right away, but a mechanic can easily tell when a car suffered from infrequent oil changes.
- Check your tires – Your tires need a good amount of tread to keep you from fishtailing and sliding on standing water, ice, and snow. While traveling, obey speed limits as most passenger tires are not rated for high speeds for extended periods of time, and this is one of the major causes of blowouts.
- Inspect belts hoses lights – timing belt, serpentine belt, and your fan belt are all vital to your car. Check regularly for drying out, fraying, or signs of wear. It’s better to replace these before they snap, versus damaging your entire engine. We check these belts every time we change your oil at no extra charge.
- Don’t drive impaired – If you’re tired or under the influence; don’t drive. Be alert when driving at night and be wary of other drivers, as not everyone makes the smart choice.
- Loading Car – I know it’s the holiday season, but make sure all mirrors and windows are visible, and items are secure. Nothing is more distracting than hearing items sliding around and worrying what spilled.
- Rowdy Kids – they’re excited and may be suffering from a school party induced sugar rush, but remind your kids the importance of car rules and being respectful to the driver. Driving is a job and requires your full attention.
- Vacation doesn’t mean vacation from rules. Make sure your children remain properly fastened in their seats, and don’t be tempted to overcrowd your car with cousins/friends when running out on “short drives”.
Some of the tips above sound like a long expensive check-up, but we’re still running our Winterize Maintenance package and we’ll take care of all these check points and change your oil for an unbeatable $69.95. We can’t drive you to you Grandma’s house, but we can make sure you car is ready to get you there. Don’t forget about your student’s car too. Between studying and cramming for tests, they may not have had time to properly maintain their car, and preventative maintenance extends the life of the car. One of the greatest gifts we can give you is peace of mind when it comes to your vehicle(s), as our customer you’ll receive free roadside assistance and our Lifetime Protection Warranty. From our families to yours, have a safe and happy holiday!