Changing the oil and filter on your car today is a lot more difficult than in the past. For those of you that still enjoy the challenge, here are a few tips with regard to the environment
- Make sure the oil filter and oil drain pan are completely drained.
- Drain the filter for at least 12 hours to ensure all or most of the oil is drained from the filter. Filters should be taken to a recycling center.
- Store the used oil in a clean, rigid plastic container with a screw cap. Label the container “Used Oil”
- Do not mix other fluids, chemicals or any other materials with the used oil.
- Never dump used oil in the environment, and do not put used oil in the trash.
- Take the used oil to a professional service station for recycling. Please bring the used oil during normal business hours. You will not be charged a fee.
- Be careful not to spill oil on the ground. Cat litter can be used to absorb small spills.