Tip … What to do if you get stuck in snow
These tips will help you avoid getting stuck. If you do find yourself stuck in snow, here are a few tips to help you.
- I may sound like a broken record, but tires are the most important safety feature in snow and winter-related storms. Don’t head out in a storm if your tires are not up to par.
- Carry kitty litter or sand in the trunk to use as traction around the tires
- Don’t accelerate quickly and avoid spinning the wheels, that will dig you in deeper
- Put the car in reverse and then back into drive to gently rock the car back and forth, accelerating slowly. When in drive, put the transmission in a lower gear.
- Carry a shovel with you. You may need it to clear snow from around the tires and from under the car
- Keep the wheels straight ahead, this is crucial. If the wheels are turned to one side, this will make it nearly impossible to get out
- And always have your cell phone with you and emergency contact numbers.