Wiper blades are often a neglected item and sometimes worn wiper blades are noticed too late, during a heavy rain storm.
DIY Tip: Inspect Your Wiper Blades Often and Replace When Needed
.A quality set of wiper blades should last a year or longer, but severe weather, ice, snow and salt can shorten the life. Buy quality wipers blades. Quality blades will last longer and perform better.
Wiper blade setups differ quite a bit from car to car. You may have to follow a few different steps according to your owner’s manual or instructions that come with a new set of blades. Here are a few tips:
- Lift the blades away from the windshield and remove the old blades. Some blades clip on the wiper arm, others just slide off.
- Pay attention to how the old blades connect to the metal arms.
- On some models, you’ll see a tab on the underside of the wiper. Push the tab to remove the old blade.
- Attach the new blades, be careful not to bend or twist the wiper arms or scratch the windshield. Make sure the new wiper blades are secure and tight.
- Always clean the windshield when you replace the wiper blades
- Check the washer fluid operation and level of washer fluid.
- Turn on the wiper blades to insure proper operation, and spray a little washer fluid on the windshield. Never operate wipers on a dry windshield.