October is Fall Car Care Month and the perfect time for a seasonal check up. Last week, we were scrambling for sweatshirts and jackets as temperatures dipped into the 50’s, but Imagine how your car felt going through the temperature shock. With preventive maintenance and regularly scheduled servicing, you can protect your car and take advantage of our $26,000 in coverage, at no additional cost. Prevention is the key to protecting your vehicle and saving money, especially with all the exciting holidays up ahead.
5 Preventative Maintenance Checkpoints for Fall
- Battery – If your battery is older than three years, it’s more susceptible to cold weather and failure, consider replacing or bringing your car in for a check up. While you’re here, we’ll also check battery cables are tightly secured and the terminals are corrosion free. We test batteries during routine servicing at no charge, or you can stop by anytime for a free battery test.
- Heater & Defroster – Interior cabin heating is important for comfort and safety, but your defrosters are critical to thawing morning frost and to prevent windshield fogging while driving. Vehicle HVAC systems should be serviced at least every 3 years or 30,000 miles. Our service includes flushing and refilling antifreeze, inspecting water pump, hoses, belts, checking for leaks, and fan operation; as well as ensuring a/c, heat, and defrosters all work in peak conditions.
- Tires – Last week, we warned about tire pressure changes as the weather changes, but tread and wear is equally important. Snow and Ice are inevitable challenges in our area and the proper tires in good condition, are imperative for safe driving. Winter tires are the best choice, but all season tires work well provided they have the right amount of tread and inflation. Uneven wear can indicate wheel balance or suspension problems that require immediate attention to avoid further damage to not only your tires, but your vehicle’s drive train.
- Brakes – I can say with 100% certainty, if you’re driving, you’re going to need your brakes. Brakes are used multiple times, every single drive, and take quite a bit of abuse. Squealing isn’t the only indicator of a problem, shuddering of your steering wheel when braking, or delayed braking can also signal problems. Have your brakes inspected for performance and safety, especially before snow and icy conditions make driving conditions worse. Schedule an appointment today to have your braking system checked, including brake fluid, brake linings, rotors, and drums.
- Wiper Blades & Washer Fluid – Is there anything worse than scratchy wiper blades? Yes! Scratchy wiper blades in freezing temps, leaving cloudy streaks, and realizing you’re out of washer fluid. This scenario is a common one, and a very dangerous driving situation. In the upcoming months wipers are going to face extreme temperatures and road conditions, consider changing your blades if they appear dry, cracked, or leave smears. It’s also a great idea to keep extra washer fluid in your trunk with your emergency road kit.
Beat the winter rush and schedule your appointment today. We’ll make sure your car is ready for the colder months up ahead. Ask us about our Winterize Maintenance Package, and we’ll check all of the above for you and change your oil, for an unbeatable $69.95.