We all remember how tough it was last winter. Well, winter will soon be here again, and I know it’s on everyone’s mind. Not to mention the punishment your car will endure with the snow, the ice, the cold and potholes. Preparing your car for the winter and following a few tips will help ensure that you and your car will make through the winter. A properly maintained car will not only save you money but help keep you safe.
So, to help keep you safe, here a few tips to make sure you and your car are ready for winter:
- Make sure your car is up to date with all recommended services.
- Check your wiper blades and consider winter wiper blades.
- Make sure all exterior lights are working.
- Make sure your car’s heater and defroster are working properly. You’re going to want a nice warm car on those cold winter days.
- Check the condition of your car’s tires and consider snow tires. Snow tires have a huge advantage over regular tires during cold winter driving.
- Make sure the engine has the proper antifreeze protection, if not; the engine may freeze in frigid temperatures.
- If your car battery is more than 3 years old, bring to us to have it tested. A weak battery will fail without warning and may leave you stranded out in the cold.
- Make sure your windshield washer fluid is topped off. And always carry an extra bottle in the trunk.
- Carry a blanket in the car, along with drinking water, a flashlight, and snacks.
- Make sure you have your cell phone and a list of emergency contacts.
- Keep a small shovel and sand or kitty litter for traction if you get stuck in snow or ice.
- Slow down during a storm. Excessive speed causes more accidents than any other reason.
- Make sure friends and family know where you are going at all times during the winter months.
I hope you found my tips helpful. Please feel free to leave a comment and forward this article to a friend or family member that may benefit from the information.
If you have any questions, please call 845-628-7900. If you need to schedule a service appointment for your car, please click here.