Summer time is the busiest time of the year as people take to the roadways for vacation and enjoyment. High summer temperatures can also take its toll on your car’s engine and unexpected breakdowns are never fun and can be especially hard on seniors and those with disabilities. Disabled vehicles are one of the top reasons for summer traffic jams and it’s not an ideal situation for anyone involved.
Here’s a quick list of service items to prepare you this summer:
- Have your air conditioner tested and inspected, along with belts and hoses.
- Make sure your radiator and cooling system is thoroughly inspected.
- Have your battery tested. It’s a lot easier to replace a battery before a trip than replace a dead one on the side of the road.
- Have the brakes inspected, along with steering components.
- Change the engine oil and filter according to the service schedule and check all fluid levels.
- Replace wiper blades once a year.
- Have your tires inspected and the check the tire pressure, including the spare.
- Check all exterior lights.
- Inspect and replace the air filter if needed. A dirty filter lowers gas mileage and reduces engine performance.
- Buckle up and don’t leave home without your cell phone and emergency contact information.
- If you use EZ Pass, make sure it’s properly mounted, double check your account for a positive balance, and registered license plates before you leave.
Always follow the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual and speak with your auto service professional about maintaining your vehicle during the summer months. Before you head out on the road, come into Osceola Garage for a complete bumper to bumper inspection. Performing preventive maintenance services will reduce the chances of a mechanical breakdown, reduce harmful tailpipe emissions, extend the life of your car and lower the total cost of owning your car.
Stay safe and have fun!